Monday, June 11, 2012

Ear Infection

So those of you that have had children with Ear infections know what I am talking about.  It is horrible.  Mike and I had to make an after hours phone call to Alli's doctor on Friday night.  Alli was in so much pain she screamed for almost 3 hours.  Doctor advised we should probably take her to the emergency room.  I didn't feel comfortable with taking her to Carlinville and didn't want to make her ride all the way to Springfield screaming.  She finally calmed down about 11:30 and fell asleep about midnight.  She slept until 8 the next morning, which is a miracle because Allison like to wake up at 5 am daily (she got her father's morning person personality.  Mommy is NOT a morning person).  She was still pretty fussy and did not want to eat or take her bottle.  We gave her a little time and she finally took 3 oz.  We finally made the decision that if she was still acting like she felt bad at 10 am we were going to load her in the car and head to Springfield.  Alli's doctor called about 9:30 and wanted to know how she was.  I told her she was very fussy and wasn't wanting to eat.  She told us to bring her in to the office and she would see her.  She took one look in her left ear and said, yup she needs a shot.  Great, Mom and Alli don't like Alli getting shots.  Especially one's where Mom and Dad both have to hold her down.  I think that shot was hard on everyone including the doctor.  She gave her the shot and Motrin and sent us home.  Dr. Cruz said she should be feeling better by evening and that she would probably go home and sleep.  Well she didn't sleep, but she did seem to be feeling a little better.  She was at least no fussing non stop and playing a little.  By Sunday morning I could see a total difference.  She was running a fever, but was happy and playing, still not eating well, but better than before.  What Dr. Cruz forgot to tell me was that this medicine could cause diarrhea.  Well, it causes a lot of it.  Enough that she had poop all the way up to her neck!  And I had just change her clothes and put her on the floor.  It was maybe 5 minutes or less and she had poop everyone.  Daddy was out on Dive Training for the Rescue Squad so Mommy got this one on her own.  Daddy probably wouldn't have been much help.  He probably would have puked and then I would have had two messes to clean up.

We had 3 really bad diapers Sunday, but I will take that if it made Allison feel better.  Shortly after the poop explosion# 1, I notice Alli had a spot on her foot.  So I got to looking her over and I noticed a horrible, prickly looking rash that was super hot in one spot on her leg.  Alli has always had sensitive skin so it didn't really alarm me at first.  But the spot got bigger, and bigger, and bigger.

 Then I noticed it was on the top of her leg and her arm.  I was starting to get alarmed at this point, but I didn't want to be an alarmist first time mom.  All I could think was this was spreading rapidly and going to stop her heart or her breathing.  Thankfully I have two good friends that are nurses and they assured me as long as Alli wasn't experiencing any shortness of breath or trouble breathing she was fine (although then I didn't want to put her down because as soon as I left her she was going to have trouble.  Yes I know I am a total worry wart).   I called the after hours doctor's number again because I just wanted to make sure Dr. Cruz knew and she said to give her benadryl and call first thing on Monday morning to set an appointment.  Alli was fine all night.  The rash didn't bother her at all.  We saw Dr. Cruz Monday morning and she said the rash was fine and that Alli's ears were starting to look better.  Tuesday morning Alli finally finished a bottle and her food.  We are seeing improvement every day.  I hope we are on the downhill side of this.  Dr. Cruz said we don't have to worry about tubes yet and that she would see her at her nine month check up.  Can she really be almost 9 months old?

No comments:

Post a Comment